SPED 322 Spring 2016
Week 3 PBIS references
“When you break a rule, or law, you might encounter negative consequences in the form of loss of privileges, fines, penalties or jail terms.” (p.269, Scheurmann). We live in a punitive society. Everything we do relates to punitive punishment.
“Preventing serious violent behavior in schools requires a comprehensive approach that
- also prevents disruptive and disrespectful behavior
- maintains dignity of students
- maintains dignity of teacher
- maintains dignity of other school persons” (p.21, Janney & snell)
Discipline approach (p.23 Janney & Snell)
“ – Be responsible
- be respectful
- be ready to learn
- be cooperative
- be safe”
(p.36, Janney & Snell)
“Teachers use structured lessons to teach skills in:
- relationship building
- problem solving
- understanding and managing emotions”
(p. 39 Janney & Snell)
“Lesson Sequence for Bully Prevention in PBS
- Decide if someone is being disrespectful toward you or toward another student.
- If someone is not respectful toward you, then use the STOP signal – words and physical action
- As a bystander, if you see someone being treated disrespectfully , then use the STOP signal
- If you use the STOP signal and disrespectful behavior continues toward you or another student, then walk away and encourage others to walk away.
- If you walk away and disrespectful behavior continues, then talk with an adult.
- If someone say STOP to you, stop, then take a deep breath and go about your day.”